Monday, 22 March 2010

jam donut muffins


One of the best bits of cricket season is having a willing audience of 22 men on which to test recipes that I've never cooked before. As they usually descend on the afternoon table with zeal of labrador puppies on slippers, I'm not entirely convinced they are the toughest of food testers.

These jam donut muffins, from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess, were given the thumbs up. Even the umpires liked them.

Recipe
125ml milk
85ml vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g self raising flour
100g caster sugar
12 tsps strawberry jam
100g unsalted butter
150g granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5. Grease a 12 hole mini muffin tin.
With a fork, beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Stir this into the flour and caster sugar to just combine: the lumps don’t matter and overbeating leads to tough muffins.

Spoon the mixture into each muffin cup so that it’s just under a third full. Then with a teaspoon add a dollop of strawberry jam and top wth more muffin mix so that the cases are just about full.


Put them in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the tops feel springy and resistant and the muffins have puffed up into little toadstools.

Meanwhile, melt the butter slowly in a thick-bottomed pan, and pour the sugar into a wide, shallow bowl. As soon as the muffins are ready, remove them from their moulds, dip them in the butter and roll in the granulated sugar. Best served warm, and this recipe makes 12*.

*I got 18 from this quantity.

15 comments:

Deb - Two Cheeky Monkeys said...

Oooh, looks great! I will have to try this recipe too. Thanks. :)

Melinda @ Here We Go Loopy Lou said...

These look fabulous - will be trying these for sure!

Mookah said...

You had me at jam donut......but the muffin sealed the deal. I'll be giing these a whirl for sure.

AMIT said...

Looks yummy and lovely.

data entry india

m.e (Cathie) said...

really! they look great, I haven't seen that recipe before.
nice one

muser said...

o0o0 They look super tasty.

Kate said...

They look really good!

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

I want to lick the computer screen - is that wrong???

Stomper Girl said...

Yum! I think I might try them too. Hot jam donuts are my favourite sort. Might even try a hint of cinnamon in the granulated sugar, just to be a bit fancy.

arista said...

These sound great - I've got the book but haven't tried this recipe yet. I love the labrador puppies in slippers image!

Fairlie said...

Stomper's idea of cinnamon in the sugar mix is great...may have to try that!

Posie Patchwork said...

Good GOD, they look delicious. My mummy is a jam doughnut maniac, as you are when you're diabetic!! I might give this a go at Easter when i cruise up on to Sydney. Love Posie

Melody said...

I've made these before (long ago) - they're pretty yummy aren't they??

Kylie said...

Yumm - I am going to print this out and add it to thewinter rainy day recipe list:)
Thanks for the recipe.

sanjeet said...

They look super tasty.
home jobs india