Monday, 20 July 2009

bendigo bound



The younger son and I ventured to Bendigo yesterday to visit the Australian Sheep and Wool show.

I cannot remember the last time I visited Bendigo and certainly don't remember it being as lovely as it is. Given its gold mining history, it shouldn't have come as any surprise that it is chock full of gorgeous Victorian buildings.


We passed the most gorgeous art deco style house (I think my favourite architectural style) and to my joy, found a photo of it via Google, as, as is often the case, I didn't think to take my camera.

The highlight of Ethan's day was the many and varied breeds of sheep on display. In particular, he was quite taken with the rams and, uh, what makes them rams. We watched the judging of a class and much to the amusement of those around us he exclaimed loudly "whoa, check out the nuts on that one, Mum."



Watching the sheepdog trials took me back to our time in the UK, where most Sundays involved a leisurely pint in our village pub before heading home to watch One Man and His Dog. Only in England could sheepdog trials be a popular weekly television show. I loved the farmers in their flat caps and thick regional accents and the gruff affection that they showed to their dogs.

Of course, we spent quite a lot of time browsing the wool stalls, touching, feeling and mentally planning out knitting projects.

Perhaps I could knit a gag for Ethan in time to take the boys to the Royal Show in September. If he was that impressed with the rams, I wonder what he'll make of the bulls?

5 comments:

vaguelyspecific said...

Damn, I meant to try and get along to this but forgot it was on! And yes, he will love the bulls. ;-) I took my then 4 year old to the Royal Show last year which was great but expensive and crowded and not enough animals and crafts and preserves. Even getting a show bag for the little-tacker was daunting as the crowd meant he was getting stomped on. Did find a fabulous list of country shows to go to though so we'll be doing that instead this year.

dancingmorganmouse said...

NZ has a sheepdog trial show too, sometimes it's on the ABC!

Stomper Girl said...

Don't forget elephants! I saw an elephant with an erection and the image is still burned in my brain 20 years later. It looked like a 5th leg, seriously.

Melody said...

Oh my, I don't think I can beat Stomper's comment, but I do remember a pony/horse that used to be in this paddock we used to walk past to get to work. I will never forget the day we walked past and it had a 5th leg. Seriously. And we still get a giggle about it too. Sad aren't we?

It has been a few years since I last visited Bendigo (umm, maybe 10) I remember how much we hated it at the time. We couldn't get a decent feed anywhere (it was on a public holiday weekend and we stayed the night) and ended up at this crappy restaurant that I picked and Lyndon has never forgiven me for. We're like that.

Fairlie said...

We've been meaning to go to Bendigo for months. Apparently the Art Gallery there is really great. It's been years since I last went.