Thursday, 6 November 2008

now why didn't I think of that?


Do you ever come across ideas so simple you wonder why you didn't think of it yourself?

This double sided cable scarf is a case in point.

I love cables - nothing new there. I like scarves too, but I have always shied away from cabled scarves because of the wrong side. Its just ugly and a scarf shouldn't have a right and wrong side in my books.

I was browsing around on Ravelry the other day and found a few patterns for double sided cabled scarves. Such a beautifully simple, but effective idea. Cables on each side! Now why didn't I think of that?

This one below doesn't follow any of the Ravelry patterns, but borrows a bit from here and a bit from there.
Another idea I picked up from Ravelry, or perhaps it was one of the many knitting magazines that pile up in my work area, is of a garter stitch edge, rather than ribbing right to the edges. No more curling in! Simple, really.

So here it is, albeit still in progress and yet to be blocked, the double sided cable, sits perfectly flat, no curling, super long, soft and cozy scarf. Might have to work on its name, me thinks.

Shown here in super soft thick / thin hand dyed "Hydrangea", other colours to follow.

6 comments:

Violet & Rose said...

Oooh, I do like hydrangea. Very, very pretty.

M said...

That is a very lovely yarn.

Louise said...

Such scrummy wool!! Love the scarf - very warm and chunky looking but really pretty all the same.

Morrgan said...

Oh yes, I love making double-sided scarves with cables. :) Hydrangea is beautiful!

Christina Silverio said...

Oh, that looks so lovely and soft! The yarns look yummy, almost like sherbert. :)

Jelly Wares said...

Gorgeous scarf!!! I have moments like that all of the time, you know, where you see something and think why didn't or haven't I thought of that... LOL!!

Jodie :)