Tuesday, 3 June 2008

oaty muesli bars


Seeking out the perfect lunch box bake has been a bit of a quest for me of late, but in this recipe I think I have found it.
  • Keeps for more than two days? Check
  • Nutritious? Check (let's not talk about the butter and sugar content, okay?)
  • Tastes good? Check
  • Easy enough for the kids to do most of the work? Check
  • Not too crumbly or sticky finger inducing? Check

Here it is, the holy grail:

175g butter
125g brown sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
350g rolled oats
1/2 cup mixed dried fruits (I used sultanas, dessicated coconut and chopped apricots)
1/2 cup mixed nuts and seeds (I used chopped hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and slivered almonds)
1/2 cup linseed, soy, almond meal (LSA)


Preheat oven to 180C.
Melt butter, sugar and syrup. Combine dry ingredients.
Add melted mixture to dry.
Line a lamington tin with baking paper.
Pour mixture into tin and press down well.
Bake in the oven for approximately half an hour, until browned slightly. Every 10 minutes or so press mixture down using a spatula.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you like them as much as we do, they won't last nearly that long.

6 comments:

fiona said...

yum! my baking dosnt make it to the container either!

SadieandLance said...

Mmm MM I love a bit of Holy Grail. And I have oats coming out of my oats after Anzac Day - why don't Oats manufacturers make a bag of oats that is small enough for just 1 or 2 batches of Anzac biccies instead of one that would require a thousand batches? I thin this each and every Anzac Day.

Jenny said...

This looks like a very tasty recipe-thanks for sharing

joanne said...

I am totally challenged in the kitchen - what is a lamington tin??? did you cut all the nuts etc yourself or did you buy them pre mixed????? hoping the latter.... especially considering I am going to try and make that!!

Fairlie said...

And....wheat-free? Check.

Shall be making these ones myself. Always on the look-out for wheat-free treats.

my poppet said...

Thanks, I'll give this a try, most of my attempts at musli bars turn out like granola.
atill tasty but messy