Wednesday, 24 October 2007

chicken soup

I've been pretty busy in the kitchen today, although not by the lofty standards of some.

Firstly, I made chicken noodle soup, with left overs from a chicken roast. Very thrifty of me.

To call it a recipe is to overcook it (pardon the pun), but here it is nonetheless.

Left over chicken carcass or chicken pieces.
2 onions
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
2 packets of chicken noodle soup mix!!

Simmer the chicken carcass, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick, 1 onion, bayleaves and the peppercorns in about 3 litres of water for about an hour.

Strain off all the solid ingredients, retaining the stock and the carcass.

If you have time, let it go completely cold and remove the solidifed fat. If you don't have time, drape a piece of clingfilm over the surface (the fat will stick to the film). Remove carefully so the fat doesn't slide off and back into your soup.

Finely chop the remaining onion, carrot and celery. Add to the soup with the noodle mix. Pick all the meat off the carcass and add that too. Simmer for 10 minutes or so. Viola!

I am totally enamoured with bircher muesli at the moment. I was buying it at the supermarket, but its $3.00 a pop and the tubs are so tiny, that I was following a tub with a muffin or similar mid morning, which of course totally defeats the purpose of a good breakfast and contributes to my own muffin like counternance.

After a bit of googling and trial and error, here's my definitive bircher muesli recipe. I'd take a photo of it, but I defy any food stylist to make it look like anything other than cat puke.

2 cups whole rolled oats
1/4 cup dessicated (or as my brother used to call it - designated) coconut
1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
2 cups plain yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1 Granny Smith grated
1 cup of milk

Combine all ingredients except the milk. Refrigerate over night.

Add the cup of milk the next day and serve. I like mine topped with toasted slivered almonds and strawberries.

This makes enough to last about a week, although I've also been dipping into it of an evening, which has cut it down a bit. I figure its got to be better than my usual after dinner snack of Chicken in a Biscuit washed down with a glass of red.

7 comments:

Fairlie said...

I'm definitely going to try that bircher muesli recipe!

LOL about defying a food stylist to make the muesli look like anything other than cat puke. I saw some chocolate truffles advertised in a catalogue recently and I swear they looked like dog droppings. Photographing food is fraught with danger.

joanne said...

yum yum pigs bum - the soup looks delish

Frogdancer said...

A Prayer For Owen Meany.....it's either a really really bad book or a really really good book if I can only read it once. (Usually I reda books so quickly that I can reread over and over again and still have fun.)
Poor Owen. I loved this book, but have never picked it up again. It's still sitting in all of its hardbacked glory on my bookshelf.
You've got good taste in books.
(And thanks for popping onto my comments section. Silver brumby lovers have to stick together.)

Tara said...

Hi! I came over to see you and saw that you had chicken soup right at the top - exactly what I posted today myself! Yours is much prettier than mine. I see that you have The Mercy of Thin Air in your sidebar...are you enjoying it? I absolutely loved, adored, that book.

Kim said...

hello lovely lady and thanks for the bloggy linky-love.

My bircher is a lot less convoluted if you are looking for that.

1/2 cup rolled oats, barely cover w/ cloudy apple juice and refrigerate overnight (you could do a bigger amount to last the week)

In the morning grate in a granny smith, squeeze over half a lemon, spoon through some natural yoghurt, drizzle w/ honey and top with some berries or banana or fruit of your choosing.

Just if you want a simpler take on it is all.

Suse said...

I'm cut and pasting that divine cat puke recipe.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Can you repurchase a iPhone app after you delete a paid app without repaying? My cousin purposely deleted my iBeer so can i get it back without repaying?



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]