Sunday, 6 May 2007

does it come in orangey brown?

My Dad grows pumpkins. This is me posing with the latest crop. My favourite use for Dad's pumpkins is roasted garlic and pumpkin soup. It smells good, it looks good, and sure does taste good. Can this soup do no wrong? Well, yes it can.
I am messy cook and even messier eater - definitely a candidate for an adult version of one of those plastic bibs that have the tray in the bottom. My boys grew out of them by about 18 months. have never outgrown the need.
So, given that I don't have an adult version of this bib, I should buy soup coloured clothes.

1 head of garlic
Olive oil
1.5kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks.
1 very large potato, peeled and diced.
1 onion
1 stick of celery
2L Chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1 bay leaf

Cut the top off the head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil.
Toss pumpkin pieces with oil. Roast garlic and pumpkin for an hour or so.
Finely chop onion, celery and saute in a small amount of olive oil in a large saucepan.
Add potato, stock and bayleaf. Bring to simmer. Squeeze the head of garlic to release the roasted cloves. Add pumpkin.
When potato is soft, remove bay leave and puree soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

samantha said...

mmm I love pumpkin soup, but I hate having to cut up the pumpkin and get rid of the seeds etc. Lazy of me I know.